Friday, August 15, 2008

Splashy splash

Wonderful day outside, while I sit here at work. 100 degrees, blisteringly hot here in the Inland Northwest (you know, it used to be the Inland Empire until California chose to abscond with our beloved moniker, like so many other wonderful things up here). Looks like two more days of it. I guess we should all soak it in, because the sun keeps going down earlier every night, and I have this sneaking suspicion that fall might sneak up on us faster than I thought.

Did I mention my first Powder magazine for the year showed up?



Hey, turns out that chisel really is sharp!

OXFORD

Shes turning out little by little. The complete splashboard setup is finished as far as assembly goes. It takes some patience as far as fitting, because most is by eye, and the measurements provided are pretty stinkin accurate. There just happens to be a period of an hour where you fiddle with this and that to make it all line up.

Neat little trick I have been messing with on this boat is 5 minute epoxy. Whip up a little batch of this stuff, and you have perfect little tack welds to hold pieces in place while you get the real epoxy and filler built. Saves tape and time, as well as the frustration of a part of the project falling to pieces while you wait for a solid cure.

If you look closely in the image, you can see where the two forward pieces are mated with 5 minute to keep the V shape, while the rest was just held in place while gluing up with filled epoxy:



I like this, and intend to use the hell out of the 5 minutes stuff on projects to come.

Why don't we just have a look at the finished product of the splashboards, since we are looking at photos:





Ahh, now we all feel better.

I think Sunday will see exactly zero work accomplished. Monday is weed spraying day, back to the station Tuesday, more weed abatement Wednesday. I might get some work done eventually, but I can't seem to get the massive blocks of free time I had with the Cloud Cap project.

I hope to give you all more to entertain yourselves with by wednesday, but we will have to see, now won't we...

E

No comments: